Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance
- Whilst at The Milestone School pupils are taught the skills and attitudes required to enable them to become as independent as they can be and to prepare for adulthood. We aim for pupils to have an enriched and stimulating curriculum to give them every opportunity to reach their full potential regardless of their gender, race, learning disability or physical disability.
- Our Careers Policy highlights the intent, implementation and impact of our Careers curriculum.
Rationale and commitment to careers education, information, advice and guidance
- At The Milestone School careers education, information, advice and guidance is at our forefront ensuring pupils leave with the right tools and values to help prepare them for adulthood. We support pupils to consider their future options, realise their potential and decide how their skills and experiences fit with opportunities in Further Education and the job market. We prepare pupils for their preferred transitional pathway whether that is to continue with education, employment/ training and we use a person-centred approach in our delivery method. We are fully committed to our statutory and moral obligation to provide a holistic careers service to pupils in Year 8 onwards, highlighting the vocational and academic routes to their preferred careers path.
- We ensure that pupils are inspired and motivated, ensuring high achievable aspirations are considered for a range of careers available.
- We work closely with the local authority due to the vulnerable nature of our pupils who all have special education needs and disabilities with Education, Health and Care plans in place, ensuring that we know of all the services available to support pupils, to access these and share this knowledge amongst our community. We regularly celebrate,showcase and promote the achievements of our pupils who are volunteering or in paid employment at every possible opportunity.
- The school will measure the quality of careers education available against the 8 Gatsby Benchmarks and will continue to use the Compass self-assessment tool to indicate areas for further development.
- The impact for pupils will be in the key transition points with the aim to support social mobility by enabling pupils to progress to further studies and employment.